Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Dream Design 20 - Dieuwertje Van de Moosdijk

Today I have a really special Dream Design post but you'll have to read right through to the end to find out why! 
Dieuwertje Van de Moosdijk is a surface pattern designer based in Amsterdam. She works from her garden studio creating surface patterns and illustrations. Dieuwertje has chosen her favourite pattern to share with us and below she explains why it is her Dream Design.

 


This design 'Is it spring already?' is my favourite because I'm really a floral girl and like nothing more than to surround myself with them. Whenever I draw or paint, flowers always come out naturally. I could picture this design as wallpaper, textile and being put on ceramics. Thinking big: I'm a big fan of Liberty, William Morris, Sanderson, Laura Ashley and Villeroy & Boch... 
I have just finished looking through Dieuwertje's wonderful portfolio. It is full of beautiful flower designs with a difference, they are all based on handmade motifs: either painted, sewn or drawn. Her style is very individual and special. She uses different colour palettes with great confidence and each pattern is identifiable with her unique style. 
It is so easy for me to imagine her designs on Liberty fabric or on beautiful Villeroy & Boch porcelain homewares. I'm sure her style will enjoy great success in the surface pattern world.

So here comes the good bit... Dieuwertje has recently secured a position as a print designer working for a well known and very creative Dutch fashion brand. I'm afraid I can't give the name but it is a super beginning for such a talented designer and I wish her all the best with her new 'Dream' job.

Please take time to look at her designs on her website, www.dieuwertjemaakt.nl (dieuwertjemaakt is Dutch for 'dieuwertje makes') it is well worth a visit. 
You will also find her on Twitter and Pinterest.

2 comments: