Tuesday, July 17, 2012

From Begonia to pattern!




Hi, I seem to be spending a lot of time experimenting with and analysing my work process. From my first sketches through to the final designs. Why do I draw in a certain way...  what aspects attract me when I am sketching... why do I choose a certain element to develop into my final design?  This process is helping me "fill" a lot of sketchbook pages and I have already drawn enough motifs to keep me busy from now until Christmas!
The most important thing is to improve my capability to select strong motifs which I can then use to create original designs or patterns. It is not an easy road to take as it makes me constantly question what I do and why I do it.
I am sharing a project which I have worked on for "one day and a bit". I started by sketching a Begonia which I have in the house, it has lots of beautiful delicate lemon flowers. I then chose some flowers and a couple of leaves to begin to work into my patterns. My colour palette was also inspired directly by the plant. After creating two seamless repeats and endless placement prints I applied the designs to different stationery items. The result is a fresh, bold and modern collection. Hope you like them?
You can check out the whole board on FLICKR.

2 comments:

  1. Hi just had a good look at your recent work,
    really enjoyed x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had our usual look have thoroughly enjoyed XX

    ReplyDelete