Monday, October 1, 2012

Dream Design 7 - Claire Smillie

Today the designer participating in the Dream Designs project is CLAIRE SMILLIE a freelance surface designer based in York, UK. Claire has kindly agreed to share a favourite piece of work with us and in her own words has described her dream application.




Choosing just one design is so hard and often when I am asked, my answer will change according to what I have just designed as this design now holds my newest favourite colours and motifs!! So todays choice, has to be 'Elise' from my newest collection ‘Efflorescence’. This is a fun design comprising the ever popular trend of geometrics with swirling vines and flowers. I love to think that my designs would sit perfectly on a selection of products, but my dream would be to see my designs, especially this collection, as a stationery range in the high street store ‘Paperchase.’

I dream of been able to just walk in and see MY range featured on the front display watching the customers responses as they walk past, picking the items up and falling in love with them! I LOVE that shop and their products are always right up my street. I have always had a love for their notebooks and using so many myself, I think my collection would have to include one of their thick Journals as well as a diary, a binder and one of their cute storage boxes to keep all my little odds and ends in! Like most ladies, I LOVE a beautifully wrapped present, so to see my design as part of their gift wrap range would also make me very happy too!
Claires work is bright and lively with lots of organic and flowery creations mixed together with bold geometrics and textured effects. She has a wonderful portfolio and her designs are already available on lots of different products. I think her patterns would look super on wrapping paper and stationery and I hope in the near future to see some of her designs in Paperchase... why not? 
Claire is also the brilliant mind behind the Passion4Pattern Bloghop which has just finished its successful second edition. This outlines her lovely bubbly personality which also shines through in her work. She claims " ... the creative world is where she needs to be and nothing can make her more passionate than the beautiful (and sometimes crazy) world of surface pattern design".

Take a closer look at her work and website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment